All application documents must be received no later than January 3, 2018. Email Ms. Chavie Brumer at: Chavie.Brumer@claimscon.org to indicate your plan to submit an application and include the information listed on the ‘How to Apply’ tab on this website. Late applications will not be considered.
The application package must include the following items, completed in English* (see below for exceptions).
- Application form (download link above). Must be emailed, saved as: Your Last Name_Application.
- Academic resume/CV (no more than two pages) as a PDF attachment. Must be emailed, saved as: Last Name_CV.
- A two-paragraph abstract, followed by a clear, concise summary (no more than ten pages double spaced) of your dissertation topic, including the dissertation’s title and a list of works cited within the summary. Include an explanation as to the significance of your research and how it will contribute to the overall field of Holocaust Studies. Must be emailed, saved as: Last Name_PhD Proposal.
- All academic transcripts (undergraduate and graduate, including current PhD transcripts). Official transcripts or student copies of official transcripts (the university seal must be visible) are acceptable. DO NOT SEND TRANSCRIPTS VIA A UNIVERSITY ONLINE TRANSCRIPT SYSTEM. Rather, download your transcripts on your own and email to Chavie Brumer. Can be mailed or scanned and emailed as one attachment, saved as: Last Name_Transcripts. (Please make sure mailed transcripts arrive no later than the deadline.)
- For students who studied in the USA (if applicable): GRE scores. Student photocopies are acceptable. May be mailed or scanned and emailed, saved as: Last Name_GRE.
- Three letters of recommendation with completed recommendation questionnaires (see above to download questionnaire). One letter must be from an academic advisor in Holocaust studies (or related field) who has worked closely with the applicant, and one from a supervisor who is well-acquainted with the applicant and their experience in a professional or volunteer setting. The third letter should be from an academic source who is familiar with the applicant’s work. Please inform your professors/references that all letters must be on university or other professional letterhead, dated, and have original signatures. Letters that are not on letterhead and/or that are unsigned will be rejected. Each letter must be accompanied by a recommendation questionnaire. May be mailed or scanned and emailed as pdf attachments.
- Optional: a web link or electronic, downloaded video file, not more than 6 MB exhibiting the candidate delivering a concise description of his/her research topic. Only the first 90 seconds of the video will be viewed. Large, time-sensitive files are not accepted.
All the above items must be submitted in English. *If you have difficulty with submitting a transcript in English, please notify Ms. Chavie Brumer at Chavie.Brumer@claimscon.org.
Please do not email all of your documents in one PDF attachment.
Portions of the application that are submitted by mail should be addressed to:
Claims Conference -Office of Kagan Fellowships
Attn: Ms. Chavie Brumer
1359 Broadway, Suite 2000
New York, NY 10018 USA
All other portions should be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have questions or concerns while completing your application, please contact Chavie Brumer at email@example.com or at 646-485-2035.
Awards are usually announced in early April.